Featured post

Short Story: Shadow

Written by Tayyaba Aziz & Saqib Hussain   After 30 minutes of struggling to focus on work, Moosa finally gave up. He stumbled in hi...

Monday 9 December 2013

Meeting our Sixth Sense


It was beautiful summer twilight; Saba and I were having a great time up stairs on the roof of my house. We were having good laughs about funny moments of our childhood days. My friend Saba had decided to stay at my place which clearly meant great party till the morning light.
The roof has medium size walls around it. We were sitting on the wood bench that two little girls built themselves. We still are proud of it and love it.  As it started to grow darker we walked towards the door to go downstairs but the cool breeze convinced us to stay a while longer. So we walked towards the front side of the house.

I was telling her about my recent writings when she interrupted me and pointed towards my neighbors house. “Look at those kids playing as mother watches them” she said smiling to herself.
Looking at the pointed direction I said “Where?” I had no idea what she was talking about.
Saba went on still smiling “What a pleasant sight, these kids are having fun and their mother is smiling with satisfaction.”
 “OK enough of your stupid pranks” I said laughing.

She paused and gave me a confused look then said “These kids right there under those yellow lights.”
She was so convincing that now I knew something was terribly wrong. The first thought that hit my mind with a chill running through me was a question.  I asked her almost in a whisper, “Are they looking back at us?”
She said with a giggle, “Not yet but they might if I keep staring"

“Don’t stare!” I cried.
She looked at me this time more shocked than confused.
I reached for her hands looking into my friends’ eyes I whispered “Saba this house has been deserted for ages and I still don’t see any signs of life there”
Her smile faded and I watched her turn pale. Her hands got colder. I held her hands tighter and told her not to panic. Any attention from the inhabitants of that house would be the least desired thing I thought to myself.  
Slowly walking towards the door and came downstairs like thing happened.  
We settled in my room but Saba was still dumbfounded.   There fell a very long awkward silence between us.

I had never seen her this way so yeah it kind of freaked me out. I tried to make her laugh but she wasn't paying much attention. In spite of my worthless attempts to make her laugh this girl was unappreciative. I gave up and asked her to speak her mind out. Still lost in thoughts she sat there like a dead person.

I got so frustrated that I shook her hard like waking her up from deep sleep shouting “You were the bravest one. The one who could watch three horror movies in a row and still would sleep soundly at night!” 
She laughed aloud and asked “So you still don’t watch horror movies? “
I shook my head smiling at her finally relived.  She gave me a questioning glance as if demanding more explanation.
I hesitated a moment then sniffed saying, “Why watch horror movies on TV when you can watch the exclusively explicit horror motion picture during your sleep?”
I thought the topic has changed and now we could enjoy the rest of the night watching movies and eating pasta like always. I thought wrong.
“Still lucky you can’t see phantoms running around in haunted houses having a good time” Saba taunted with a reckless smile.
Right then I got a strong urge to tell her all the unusual things I have ever experienced. On second thought if I tell her all those true stories she might change her mind of staying the night here.
Well then let it pass I thought.

“To some extend everyone can sense things. A lot more things than we can understand or explain. We deny it because of the confusion that comes along. Mind does not accept or believe things that it cannot understand. We just have to admit that these things are there around us all the time…..” I stopped in the middle my sentence.
Somehow Saba found it scarier and started to pack her things running around like a mad person. It was supposed to be a friendly advice to soothe her down.  This was the least expected reaction; for a second I didn't know how to response. I stood there watching her with confusion and great disappointment on my face.

I had to run a little to catch her and give her another shake, “You are not going anywhere before I finish, do you get me?!”

Before I could scold her more on her childish behavior she hugged me tight. I hugged back.

And this is what I whispered in her ear:
“Every coin has two sides. Yes there are negative energies but there are positive energies too. The more you think about demons the more it would take over your head. Have faith on angels too and make your positive energies stronger. Only YOU can do it”

Saba nodded still holding me tight. I knew she was smiling and finally relaxed.
 “You are my angel.” She whispered back making me giggle.


We were again the two little adventurous girls. The rest of the night was spent in laughter and giggles just like old times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment