Featured post

Short Story: Shadow

Written by Tayyaba Aziz & Saqib Hussain   After 30 minutes of struggling to focus on work, Moosa finally gave up. He stumbled in hi...

Saturday 25 January 2014

My Superhero


It’s the story of the hard times of my life and how I made it through. It all started in 2008 when my sister got married and flew to a far away city. After she left, my brother found a job out of city and so he too moved to another place. You might me thinking is that bad? No that was just the beginning; it was the year of people leaving me for some reason or other. Just when I actually started to enjoy having no siblings bossing around for cleaning my room, and doing no chores; my best friend left me. His sister who was my best childhood friend never came by since then.
That’s not all,  while I was too busy fixing things and dealing with this trauma I missed the last date of admissions in the university, which meant I would have to wait for another 12 months. This only added to my grief, I had nothing to do. I was the biggest loser on this planet, watching my friends getting too busy in their perfect lives that they hardly had time to text me back. While I sit there in my room with pathetic present, no career, nowhere to go and no one to talk to about the hell I was going through…
For some reason this depression grew so huge that I gave up my fun filled creative hobbies. I couldn’t draw or paint or write, couldn’t eat right or get any sleep at all. Loneliness is a worst nightmare.

Among all this craziness around me, my sister’s friend came by one day and told me she found a poor kitten and doesn’t have any place to keep it. I agreed on taking care of the kitten as I had nothing else to do back those days. The kitten was cute as they always are. It was white and brown I wanted to name him but I found he already bears a strange name, Timmy. To make him feel homely I called him by the same name.
Timmy changed everything starting from my wakeup timings. I would wake up early morning at 7 am for Timmy was a morning cat. After breakfast he used to play a lot. He was so energetic and playful kitten I have ever seen. So we became friends, I knew his language he knew I needed his company. He would wear the soft neck bands I made, shake hands, and even dance for me, following me into the house and everywhere. Not just that sweet feeling of his company but all those fun activities that made me forget everything. Activities like giving Timmy a bath, this was my favorite although my mom and Timmy hated it.
After a warm bath I would pick him up in both hands and hug my little kitty. Then lay him in his cute basket bed that I made. I remember how he loved drying in the sun; he would cuddle up like a ball in the bed. While I play the caring mother just sitting there watching him fall asleep.
Besides that basket bed Timmy discovered anther bed, a cooking pan! I have no idea how... Timmy was fearless; he would enter through a window, walk past my father and run straight into the kitchen to jump into the empty pan. No rush even though he could sense my panicked father running after him into the kitchen. For me it was just plain fun running after a cute kitten all day long.

Strange how time flies when your days are filled with joy and happiness. Days turned into weeks and then months, when I look back I hardly remember it being more than a month. Somehow things at home started to get better. I wasn’t a loner anymore I had Timmy and fortunately my brother came back home.
Later that month I got admission in the university of my choice. The day I stepped into the university I met some amazing friends and great teachers; who are all there to support and appreciate me.
 Second great news was my brother was getting married and we had to fly to our native City for the wedding. There all other family members were desperately awaiting our arrival. On the other hand it sadly meant there would be no one here to look after Timmy.  So reluctantly I returned Timmy back, as suggested by my mother and told the caretaker to pass it on to someone who needs him more than I do now.

Timmy was not just a distraction for me but much more than that. Somehow that kitten was my reason to make through just another day. Making me stronger each day of that rough year. I started to become less stressed and more flexible with forgiving people. Now I could understand if my friends never had time to talk, I never had time to hold it against them. I got too busy taking care of the kitten, like giving Timmy a bath, or searching about kittens on internet. It gave me a new perception for life I never knew something as simple as a cat could make me feel so better when time was hard on me. I had someone special to be happy about when I had nothing at all. There is always something in life to hold on to, just keep that sweet thing close to you and you’ll make it through. 


No comments:

Post a Comment