Featured post

Short Story: Shadow

Written by Tayyaba Aziz & Saqib Hussain   After 30 minutes of struggling to focus on work, Moosa finally gave up. He stumbled in hi...

Saturday 11 October 2014

Story: Secret of Road Accidents Revealed!

This happened a year from now and still I remember every second of it.
It was a usual day at university; we were working on the project report. In appreciation of the progress our delighted teacher called off the next half session. So we were free to leave or to stay and party. Normally I would love to stay but this just wasn’t my day. I felt a desperate need to get home and hit the sleep button. Except that my home was far, far away. 
Anyway I waited on my girls to come along as always, but none of them wanted to leave. They preferred fun over their bestie without hesitation. I gave them the disgusting look and went off alone. One should never confuse people; when you hate how they treat you, let them know. If they care, they would change. If they don’t, you will find better people.  

I was outside the gate and the bus stop was on the other side of the heavy traffic roads. Since it was still early morning, both roads were almost deserted. I was in the middle of the road when I saw a white car approaching at a distance. Clearly I could make it to the footpath in time. So I kept walking at my precise lady-like pace.
In my head I was completely hooked on the thoughts of what my girls were up to and how could they have fun without me…I mean what the… My eyes were on the road when I heard extremely loud screeching sounds from my right. This sound was not only loud but rapidly getting louder. I turned to look in slow motion. I don’t know why but from this point my memory works in SLOW MOTION. A black Car was approaching me at FULL speed!

This Girl in black dress thought she was faster than the most luxurious car available in Pakistan while the pale old man in that black Car was scared to death.
I had less than a second to make a decision since I was in the center of the huge car. Whether I run back or forward both ways it takes the same amount of time. However if I run forward I reach the footpath. Otherwise running backwards would leave me to a greater chance of hitting another Car.
My mind went blank and my legs froze with terror. It’s quite hard to interpret what happened next. I felt a vigorous deliberate push on my back. It sounds unbelievable and too dramatic.  Yet not everything in life is slave to our logical reasoning. Now the sound of the car wheels screeching became frightfully loud. With a little jump I ran forward.  As soon as I barely crossed the edge of the headlights, I literally felt that car swipe behind me. That was the moment I heard nothing but my own heartbeat.
When I reached my senses I looked back. That car stopped quite far from where I was crossing the road. That would have hit me like Shahid Afridi’s six, in to the air and out of the sight. I started to walk at the same lady like pace again only that my heart was now inside my ears.
Not only the old man in the car threw his hands in the air, but everyone paused.  I was the only moving body. The buses on the other road, the passengers and the cars, everyone was dead silent and staring at the girl who almost died. The girl who was walking towards the bus stop like nothing happened.  In my head I was like get it over with people.
Lesson learned when on the road focus on traffic not on your ignorant girls, or else the world will stop and stare!

No comments:

Post a Comment