Featured post

Short Story: Shadow

Written by Tayyaba Aziz & Saqib Hussain   After 30 minutes of struggling to focus on work, Moosa finally gave up. He stumbled in hi...

Monday 15 June 2015

Oh, How We Forget!

Note: Article sent by Anonymous volunteer.


I wish I was a bit taller, Ughhh I hate my hair. I wish I had straight hair!!! If only my nose was a bit smaller?? How busy we are pointing out imperfections in others and ourselves. Let alone being grateful at times we don’t even acknowledge the thousands of blessings bestowed upon us.
Accompanying someone to the local hospital for a checkup we made our way in the sea of people moving around in a haphazard manner. Most of them lost in the maze of corridors unable to even read the sign boards. We finally made out way to the orthopedic ward and waited for our turn.

Sitting on the bench looking around at people, I saw sights which were playing in my head for the whole night. Amputated limbs, rods sticking out legs and arms, the mere sight of it sent shivers down my spine. Sitting there I felt lucky and terrified at the same time. Terrified of how fragile the human life is, how one wrong move, being at the wrong place at the wrong time can turn your life completely upside down.
When all is well in our lives we stop appreciating the things we already have. Health and loved are one the most prized possession a person can own. Sadly in the hurricane of our petty concerns we forget to appreciate what truly matters instead we focus on what we don’t have. I am not saying not to strive to achieve what you desire, but don’t let it consume you. For possession of material riches without inner peace, is like dying of thirst while bathing in a lake.

 As the Chinese proverb says “I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw man who had no feet”. Always remember what we have can be taken away from us in an instant. We realize how priceless it was when we don’t have it anymore.

So appreciate the small pleasures of life, a smile on the face of a loved one, a cup of tea, a delicious meal, a beautiful sight, health. Smile more, laugh harder, love with more intensity, hug tighter, and hold a little longer. Hold the moment live it, enjoy it, cherish it for change is guaranteed and nothing lasts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment